My best friend Leti is a great artist. She can paint and draw extremely well. Needless to say, I'm jealous. She's was always very private I guess you could say, about her work. She never liked to show it off or when she did it was only to select people. When she was living here to Utah she drew several paintings and actually framed them and put them on her wall. I think that was kind of a stepping point for her. She was willing to put her work out there for people to see it.
Well she has finally decided to go even more public with her work and show it outside her house. She posted her work on facebook...and we all know that if you want to keep something a secret you sure as hell don't post it on facebook. So once she posted some of her work she obviously had people telling her that they loved her work and it was so good! Well now she has people asking her if she will sell them...and that has made her nervous again. When she told me someone had asked her if they could buy one of her paintings she said she wasn't sure what she should price it at. I thought she should start them at $50, but I didn't tell her that right away. Anyways, since then she has talked to some people and they told her she should go for $40. She was thinking $25-30.
*random sidenote* I'm talking with Mandy & Megan on a three-way chat on msn messenger...one word: entertaining :P
Back to Leti's stuff. Basically we got talking about how she shouldn't sell herself short. She's good at what she does...people are willing to pay (that one person was willing to pay $100--leti said that's way too much & she has a hard enough time selling to friends because she doesn't want to over-charge them), and she should just go with it. Give herself the credit she deserves. I just don't want her to put herself down. She knows she is good...she's just doesn't want people to think she's weird for the the reasons behind the work.
Anyways. She ended up telling me that since she has put her work out there for people to see it, I should do the same with mine. But I guess I'm in the same boat as she was...I don't want people to think I'm weird. I don't want someone to look at a picture I took and say "why would you take a picture of that?!" I take pictures because I want to, because I like them. If other's like them fine...if not...fine...but I guess I do still want people to like my work.
Sounds like I should be taking my own advice huh?!?!
Easier said than done.
3 comments:
well, from what i saw of your pictures at your moms, i like em. interesting perspective. =)
thanks Sam :)
Yes Emily, you should take your own advise. You also have a talent that you should not take for granted and let it work for you. You have a fantastic eye and a flair for unique angles. Have fun with it and let it take you where it will!
I love you and am very proud of you!:)
Post a Comment