Sunday, December 14, 2008

hell week (& more)

Not only is it finals week...which is stressful enough by itself...it is also the busiest week of the shipping season.
The week before Christmas.
I work everyday except Tuesday this week and needless to say, I'm not looking forward to it. While the money is much needed, it's going to be dreadful, hence the title.
However...this week may be the worst, next week I am on my way home and that is a very pleasing thought. I can't wait to see all my family and just sit back and relax around some of the best company anyone could ask for.

So Jess, Kali, Amanda and I all went out to dinner at TGIFridays the other night. While I appreciated the offer and didn't really have that bad of a time, I found myself thinking about how great a difference there is between what I feel is important in life and what these eighteen year old girls think is important.
While they sat around and talked about how this girl said this one thing that made this other girl mad, I found it funny. While I will admit that I too once thought minimal things were important, I guess I just felt old. I think about how these girls think all this drama and whatnot is so important right now, in the big picture it is so insignificant. I thought about how much I really have grown in the past few years. In high school, I was worried about college and everything but mainly I thought about what my friends and I were going to be doing the upcoming weekend. Once I hit college I was more "focused" (I put that in quotes for a reason) on getting through classes and getting on with my career. Well while I moved to Utah to get an education in a subject that I was truly interested in, it was something new and a more life changing, "find myself" type move, what was once important had no relevance. Yeah I still wondered what I was going to do that weekend but it was more in the aspect of "how am I going to make this work?" I like to think that these past few years really have been kind of a defining point for me. I just thought it was interesting to see these girls in the stage I was just a few years back and how I know that these trivial things now will have next to no importance. I hope they can look back in a couple years and laugh at themselves and their crazy mind set as I am now with my own past.

No comments: